Years ago my mother and I were busy eating ice cream and chatting and afterwards she went back into the kitchen for a spoon and a bottle of apple cider vinegar which she says is her secret weapon against gaining weight after
being ‘bad’ with a tub of ice cream. She swore that just two teaspoons kept her svelte and sexy.
Therein began my curiosity about this food ingredient that is so often overlooked. Over the years I found out that there are many benefits to using Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) that most persons are oblivious to. Who knew that it can do more than just dress up your salad! The following is a list of everyday uses. See how many you knew about.
- Great bug repellantYou do not need harsh chemicals like insect spray that can have you coughing and gasping for air. It can kill ants and other teeny tiny nuisances that love to invade our homes.
- Makes your hair shine
ACV works as a great rinse for your hair after shampooing, plus improve its overall body and shine. Use an old shampoo bottle, then fill it with 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of cold water. Pour the solution through your hair after shampooing, several times a week for dramatic results.
- Brightens your smile
Bet you never knew it can remove stains from your teeth. Yes all the coffee drinkers and smokers are in luck, as they can rub the vinegar directly onto their teeth and then rinse with water.
- A natural aftershaveFill a bottle with equal parts apple cider vinegar and water, and shake before applying to your face.
- Natural wart removerACV comes highly recommended for wart removal. Soak a cotton ball in the ACV solution and then fasten cotton ball over the wart with a Band-Aid overnight. The skin may swell some as it reacts with the solution. However, the wart should fall off. Viola! Once it falls off, the treatment should be continued for a few more days, to make sure the wart does not return.
- Regulates the ph balance of your skinDilute ACV with two parts water, and spread the concoction over your face with a cotton ball to replace your current toner. A dab of apple cider vinegar can also be left on the skin overnight to fade age spots or acne scars.
- It soothes sunburnAdd a cup of apple cider vinegar to your bath, and soak for 10 minutes to eliminate discomfort from sunburn.
- It is an all-natural massage treatmentRubbing apple cider vinegar on your hands and feet will give massage-like benefits and relief to tired hands and feet.
- Apple cider vinegar can aid in weight lossFor daily weight management, add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to 16 ounces of water. This concoction can be sipped throughout the day. Data shows some limited, yet significant, weight loss benefits from sustained daily intake of acetic acid (which is a main ingredient in apple cider vinegar).After 12 weeks you should have a significant reduction in body weight, abdominal fat, waist circumference and triglycerides. Triglycerides contribute to the bad cholesterol that we want to avoid.
- Balances your bodyThe body constantly strives to achieve a state of equilibrium. Apple cider vinegar helps the body maintain a healthy alkaline pH level. Research shows that higher acid levels (lower pH level) lead to a lack of energy and higher incidences of infection. Hence, ACV naturally boosts your energy levels.
- Detox!ACV creates an overall detoxification of the body as it assists in stimulating cardiovascular circulation and helps detoxify the liver. Interestingly this vinegar is also rich in natural enzymes that can help rid your body of ‘candida’ – yeasts that are attributed to thrush in humans. Candida also is blamed for creating symptoms of fatigue, poor memory, sugar cravings, and yeast infections.
- Helps heartburnYou may wonder how an acidic liquid can work on stomach acid but it does. Research suggests that apple cider vinegar works by correcting low acid, hence reducing heartburn. Natural remedy experts say you should begin to feel relief very shortly after taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar followed by a glass of water. Note it will not give relief if you have an ulcer.
- Repels fleas on your petsOne part vinegar and one part water can be sprayed on your pet’s fur and rubbed in generously to the skin. Saturate the entire coat, and continue every day for a few days to a week. Any flea infestation will surely be gone.
- All-natural air freshener and cleanerIt is a great cleaning agent and deodorizer. ACV can clean your toilets and leave your bathroom smelling like apples. Just pour apple cider vinegar into the toilet, and allow it to sit overnight. It can also be used in dishwashers as a substitute for dish detergent. Mix 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar with 1 cup water, and you can use this solution to clean microwaves, kitchen surfaces, windows, glasses and mirrors, tooApple Cider vinegar has been called the wonder product and it is no wonder why, as it has multitude of uses that can make you look and feel good and more importantly save you a bundle!